Monday, April 29, 2013

I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes

What is it about chapstick that I can't keep track of it? Ever.  I found it in my eyeglass case this weekend after like 3 days.  Next time I lose it, I'll be sure to remember to check there again........

Loving the hair.  Except in the wind.  Or Seattle rain.  Or any of the elements.  I need it short enough so that it literally can't move.

Also, cherry jolly ranchers.  Why the shortage?  The ratio is way off.  It's like 1:5 to all the other flavors. Dislike. It's the best flavor.

Ok, but what I'm really excited about today is some recent inspiration.  I've always loved to blog.  I've often thought about starting a "real" blog (meaning one that is about more than chapstick and jolly ranchers) but have never been quite sure about a) a focus or theme and b)  how to do it.

What I've discovered as I've followed more and more blogs and researched how to get going in the blogging world is that the blogging community is friendly and helpful.  Rachel Bertsche talks about it in her book "MWF Seeking BFF."  She labels the online community "fiercely loyal."  She quotes a blogger's comment (to her blog) in her book:

"Sometimes I feel like my bloggy friends understand me better than my real ones."

She goes on to talk about the pros and cons of this, but I have to say, I see where she is coming from.  For me it isn't about "friends" per se, but everyone has an innate need to feel needed (I think), and writing and writing and writing knowing it isn't helping anyone (or just not knowing whether it is or isn't) and not getting any feedback is pretty useless to me.

While linking my personal blog to FB and seeing that 95 people click on it but 1 person comments has been REALLY exciting and everything, I want to blog about topics that are helpful to people.  I have a passion for exercise and a holistic approach to a healthy lifestyle.  Well, I have some education in that realm too.  If I can integrate my passion, education and maybe some humor into a blog that helps people directly and/or points them to other helpful resources.....I would get a lot more joy out of blogging.

I had looked into the "how to do it" a while back and felt overwhelmed with some resources.  I was reading and reading and reading this one site about how to do it (but more about how wonderful it will be once it works) and in the end it was going to cost me an arm and a leg for a handbook or class.  Can't even remember.  I was turned off and let it go.

I've had people tell me they enjoy reading my posts before, and a friend recently asked me if I had thought about blogging for a "living."  Well, not exactly.  I think that was sort of the focus of some of the materials I had run across before, but that is not my primary goal and didn't want to pay a huge sum of money to get started.  But this got me thinking again.....how DO you make money with a blog??? How DO you get people to find your blog?  Seriously.  So I've already spent a couple hours this morning researching and reading again.  Bob Lotich's post about how to make money with a blog has been so helpful and allowed me to create an outline of how it works.  Well, he basically gives the outline.  It is so awesome that he has taken the time to give so much information about how he got started and all of the lessons he has learned so people like me are in a better place to start. It sounds like I can get started WITHOUT actually giving up an arm or a leg and I'm really excited.  I'm not sure if you'll see this because I linked the article, but if you do, thank you Bob! :)

My goal in life is not to get rich (well, not for now:) And being in limbo all the time with the military (which is driving me insane even though I thought I was prepared....I keep hearing everyone's voices telling me right before I left the Air Force "It's going to be harder out there....moving around....." They were correct), I would LOVE something I could always take with me.  I really enjoy social networking so I can combine a bunch of things I love and provide useful information.  And make blogging friends.  If I can make money in the end, that would be grreeeeaaat!

Don't worry, I'll keep this blog open for chapstick & jolly rancher-like topics.

I'm feeling good.  This is how I feel

:D

1 comment: