Friday, March 1, 2013

Freedom for All

Last weekend we headed out West again to Leavenworth, Washington.  Even though we looked up a few different trails, we went with the familiar and went on the same one I went on a few weeks ago.  Beautiful enough for me, and Dave hadn't seen the area yet.  It looked like there was a little less snow and there were others without snowshoes so we decided to go without them.  They would have been helpful in a couple places, especially on the way back down when we were sort of sliding everywhere.  But why am I writing so much? Words can't do this place justice:




                
 
Where's Ellie?






FREEEEEDOM

Can't say we weren't thinking about the brats and beer we were "earning" along the way.  But it was a beautiful sunny day and a great hike.  About 6.5 miles (didn't go quite as far up as last time because the snow started getting deep and I was falling all over the place and the dogs were sinking).

Best part- Dave told me later he forgot he was in Weapons School for a couple hours when we were out there. Win. Mental break and workout needed. We all escaped together and had a blast.

Then we really got adventurous and went back to Munchen Haus :)  This time I tried some Icicle beer instead of the yummy hot red German wine stuff (Gluehwein) and a different kind of brat. There are so many choices, so many mustards/sauces. I got the CurryWurst (Jen!) and a Kolsh beer. And then a Bootjack IPA. And then a Bavarian Cowboy Pale Ale at the brewery a couple blocks away.  And then I stopped...







I just love the feel of this little Bavarian village/town. I thought of it as Washington's Frankenmuth. I will say the mountain location might give it a leg-up.

I capped everything off with a Shamrock shake on our way out.  We got a small fry and split it between the 5 of us :) The dogs never really get human food, but a fry here and there is sort of a treat/tradition.  I used to give them to Teddy on our long drives out to Columbus to visit Dave. Seemed like a good idea to go all out in one day.

Then on the way back we had more quality time for conversation and good music :)

David Gray.  I forgot how soothing his voice is.  I'm listening to him now.
Passenger- Let Her Go.  I'm obsessed with this song.  We take things for granted.
Elton John- I'm Still Standing, Daniel

I changed the lyrics to "Daniel" to "Dave."  I always like to bring up his luxurious trips to Spain. Dave said I was going to end up on Dateline.

Dave is traveling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and I can see Dave waving goodbye.....

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
Well Dave says it's the best place that he's ever seen
Oh and he should know, he's been there enough...


Bwahaha.
Sunday.  Dave back to Weapons School for a week, me back to my blurry cloud (too bad that's not 'currywurst') of working out, knitting, reading, playing with the dogs and drinking wine :) I live for these family days together.   



1 comment:

  1. that is seriously SO beautiful! I need to get out there at some point. I know what you mean about being stay at home... i go through a LOT of wine :)

    ReplyDelete