Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thriving

Is it possible that I have completely exhausted myself from drowning myself in an exploration of every educational program (M.D., D.O., M.P.H., PhD, CPO....I could go on) and internship in exercise-related fields (cardiac rehab, wellness) in every state?  I think so.  I've been doing this for months.  My head hurts.  Why am I doing this?  I'm obviously looking to "thrive," and would like to do this by really making an impact through healthcare either at the individual or community level. 


Oh yeah, I've also explored every possible certification that could help me.  Certification through Wellcoaches is one of them (Margaret Moore in the video is the CEO of that company). This is a company that teaches health professionals how to use basic coaching skills.  I personally feel this is very important for anyone working with patients. Who wants to go see a robot or someone who isn't motivating??  There are several coaching certifications, but I'm leading towards this one because it is endorsed by the American College of Sports Medicine, which is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world.  The gold standard, if you will.  Well, I feel this will help me whether I get certified as an exercise physiologist or become a doctor or anything else working with patients.

I digress.  I've realized that I seriously do not know how to sit down and work through all my "options" and figure out what is right for me.  Who would have thought that being attached to the military would make this difficult??? Not complaining.  I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to figure this out.  Not only are my options limited (yes even with all of the degrees/paths listed above..guess they do not like to place KC-135 bases near large academic institutions.  I can't believe they didn't think of the Clarks when they did that)....I could come up with a huge plan, and then we get moved to a different base.  How do I base my actions/preparation now off of something I don't even know yet (next location)?  I try to come up with options with the most amount of flexibility/overlap, but yikes.  So I could just wait.  But, I need to keep the ball rolling.  I don't want to lose momentum.

I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor who I really want to shadow.  So I'm still trying to get that going.  I should just be focusing on graduating next month, but I'm preoccupied being stressed about what is next.  Because unfortunately, my degree alone is not going to really qualify me to do much.  These are my options as I see now:

1) Don't throw exercise science/physiology out the window yet.  I've been steering away from this for 2 reasons.  There are not a lot of opportunities for them here in KS, or in many of the locations we could move.  Right now, most opportunities are in big cities with big hospitals with cardiac rehabilitation, or other large medical facilities with fitness centers, etc.  BUT, I am currently working on a policy investigation for my Public Health class and learning about legislation for licensing for exercise physiologists in certain states, and how this quickly growing field is going to grow more with the Health Care Reform.  Whether you like the Affordable Care Act or not for one reason or another, there is no denying the need for more preventive care in our country and that is one thing it incorporates....more coverage for preventive services, screenings, wellness programs for employers, etc.  Meaning more jobs for people in my field.

SO, my point is....there are really exciting changes and hopefully near future growth in this field.  Should I give up on it or try to become active in it's growth? I am learning how to advocate for policy change through my policy class and this investigation and maybe I can start this in whatever state we end up in, or join the advocacy if it already exists.  I feel like the only way to begin answering this question is to find an internship (none here, and I'd probably go back to MI for it because there are several opportunities there) and get the experience I need to find work anyway, that will hopefully help me figure out if that will be it for me or I want something in a different capacity.  

2) Combine my exercise science education with more public health background (Masters or Doctorate in Public Health) or research (several PhD programs that interest me).  Before I really started looking at all this, we wanted to go to Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA next.  Dave likes the area, I really like what I've heard about the area, beautiful weather....all good things.  Except....not really many school opportunities (or work in exercise science).  AHH.  So, I've come to the conclusion that Birmingham, AL and Tampa, FL (both possible locations for Dave) have SEVERAL choices for work or more education.  Neither one of us has ever claimed to be a big fan of the South and I hate humidity, but honestly I've not even factored in weather or any other geographical factors in any of my decision making the last couple months.  I know, that's a good thing....because if that was my top priority there would be a problem.  And for some reason, going back to the South seems kind of fun to me (side note: we would be close to Andy and Kelly. win.).  The programs (M.D., PhD, MPH) at University of Alabama at Birmingham and University of South Florida look really exciting.  Living in Washington sounds great, but maybe later, right? AF will own us for a while. 

3) Go right on ahead to beautiful Spokane, give myself more time to figure all this out (although I don't want a huge break), possibly try to get into the Orthotics/Prosthetics program at Northwestern which is partly online and then 11 months on campus (Brandon and Julie, can I live with you?) A little separation from Dave, but I think that might be inevitable at some point anyway with any of these choices.

Problem is....I've given myself so many options/possibilities that I can't even figure out what I'm doing.  My public health classes have given me a good idea of that world and Public Health education supplements a lot (oh yeah, could do M.D./M.P.H....go big or go home).  But I think along with the Dr., I need to shadow an orthotist/prosthetist.  I can really see myself doing a PhD, but I'd like to time it so I start right when I move somewhere, minimizing the time of separation for the family (they can take many many years).  And, so many areas that interest me!  I'm really interested in biomechanics....so I've also thought about combining my background with some engineering to do that.

I'm not afraid to be separated from Dave, and obviously we've done it before but 1) really not looking for TOO much of that and 2) I can't help but think about the possible kids that are in our future even if we aren't separated.  Maybe I'm trying to figure out too many details and need to "wing it" just a little more and have a little more faith. 

Well, I tried to sort through that and it still looks like a lot of jumble.  So many factors.  I would also like to add that Dave is willing to let me pick the base preferences, in the order that I choose.  So it's like he is letting me pick which jail cell I want to be in.  KIDDING.  He is very supportive.  I also feel fortunate to be able to take this journey and have the time to figure it out.  Not everyone is so lucky.

Meanwhile I wish Newton Running would schedule some Newton Natural Running certification clinics....3 days in Boulder, CO learning and becoming certified to teach running techniques with my new favorite (Newton) running shoes.....this is actually what excites me the most of all these options :)  Love that stuff.  Biomechanics!

All I do know is that I need more to thrive.  I need to figure out what that is for me specifically, and then hope I can thrive wherever the AF puts us :D

ARE YOU THRIVING?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I do understand your dilemma! I know life is not always clearcut and straightforward, but somehow you do end up sorting it out piece by piece. And you of all people WILL do an excellent job at it and whatever you do, you WILL do well and thrive!!

    ReplyDelete