Monday, March 19, 2012

family reunion

After a few weeks of going a little crazy without Dave, I feel like we were able to reset with him home.  The dogs were so happy to see him and we were (all) relaxed and everything just felt right again.  And easier.  He left today, sad as usual.  But I feel somewhat reinvigorated.  Actually, I'm pretty tired.  But mentally I feel better. 

On Friday, I spent the day baking (while watching Bridesmaids) and preparing dinner.  All Pinterest recipes, of course.  I seriously find it interesting that I have had all of this energy to cook and bake recently.  Maybe because I don't have a job?? By the time I was done baking, I honestly didn't even feel like making dinner....but wanted Dave to have a "home-cooked" meal and felt bad that I've been making "extravagant" meals while he has been away....all for myself.  I think....it just allows me to escape when I'm lonely and create something fun and is therefore relaxing.  I'm not really sure.  It goes in spurts.  While the recipes I want to try are still piling up, I think I'm already ready for a break for a little while :) Some simple recipes for the next few weeks.

I digress a little.  I made Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos.  Ever since I tried the Classic Green Monster recipe that a friend suggested, I've been finding several recipes on "Oh She Glows." No I didn't go Vegan, but I can't help but think many of the recipes sound (and look) SO good.  And this one was SO GOOD.  And the great part about it is that if you aren't Vegan (I'm DEFINITELY not) you can add your meat of choice.  And if you want to cut some carbs, it tastes excellent without the tortillas too.  I did not do this, but just an idea.  These burritos have such amazing flavor.


Black Bean and Butternut Squash (open-faced) burritos

That guacamole is the best I've ever made too.  Of course, it's the only time I've ever made it from an actual recipe.  Definitely beats all of my experiments. 

Copy Cat Recipe: Chipotle Guacamole

After we had burritos, we relaxed for the rest of the evening, complete with a couple IPAs and our tradition of watching Dateline.  That's right.  Can't get enough murder stories & Lester Holt on a Friday night.  

On Saturday morning, we relaxed for a bit before deciding we should decide on plans for the day.  We headed downtown and got some British food at a small little authentic British restaurant we have been wanting to try.  We had Cottage Pie and the Saturday special Bangers, Peppers and Onions (owner admitting this is an Italian-influenced dish).  British (& Italian?) food on Irish day.  We do what we want.  But then we headed over to our favorite River City Brewery for some green wheat beer.  I had to get a green beer in; Dave couldn't fit one.  HA!


Love.
On our way out, I had a *brilliant* idea to get a growler of the green beer to take with us to Mike and Aimee's who were making corned beef and cabbage for dinner (correction, of course Aimee made it).  So we grabbed the dogs and headed over to their house with the growler and Friday's baking project.  The green beer, corned beef and cabbage and Friday's baking project turned out to be a very satisfying combo.

The Friday baking project was in the plans for a few weeks ever since I ran across this recipe for St. Patrick's Day cupcakes.  Stout cake batter and Vanilla bean buttercream frosting.  3 step process - homemade fondant (the green stuff), frosting and cupcakes.  Here is what I got:

Ta-da
Preparation


 
Platter of yumminess
After a couple of hours of eating and socializing, there were 4 full humans and 3 tired dogs.  We got rid of the dogs and went back downtown to complete St. Patrick's Day at the classy Pumphouse. Where else?  So classy.  Typical crowd of excessively drunk and obnoxious people ranging in age from *21* to....old.  I'm never prepared for St. Patrick's day with little to no green in my wardrobe.  I ended up wearing an olive green tank top with a gray sport blazer.  That's it.  I'm old.  Or maybe I'm the *classy* one.  Aimee and I enjoyed several trips to the NASTY St. Patrick's day drunk bathroom along with several Bud lights and an Irish car bomb.  *Craziest* partying I've done on St. Patty's Day in quite some time.  Concluded with Old Chicago.  At midnight :)  

It was a great day with Dave, the dogs and friends.

On Sunday, Dave helped me with some yard work.  I like yard work.  I'm an old 27.  Our lawn is still not competitive, but it's presentable.

And, Dave left again.  And we forgot to work on the budget.  Eh, boring.  This week's agenda: work on the budget, homework, applying for jobs, cleaning, working out (more than I have been), maybe some puppy training, trying to finish some books (for pleasure), drinks with some friends.  Enough to keep me busy, can't complain.  And I have a new set of memories for the next couple weeks while Dave is gone :)

*Also, I felt super "proud" when Ellie showed progression in her fetch skills today.  She is a dog, not a baby.  I've also had these overwhelming feelings come over me in the last few weeks when I am super frustrated with her/tired.....it's what I imagine a motherly instinct feels like.  I all of the sudden feel a huge sense of responsibility to care for such a helpless living thing.  I know, huge side note here.  But I thought this was the flip side to my Babies post.

2 comments:

  1. Holy food coma. Those burrito's look amazing. I hope Dave knows how wonderful his wife is = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told him what you said and he replied "uuhhh, yeah we'll go with that." He probably wants healthier food :)

    ReplyDelete