Friday, March 9, 2012

Places I can't Study

Not going to lie.  Pretty much everywhere.

1) Home.  One word-dogs.  I feel like I can't do anything else at home either, such as talk on the phone.  Ellie, for the first time since we got her, started digging holes in the backyard while I was on the phone with my Grandma today.  This was after I let her outside because she would not stop sprinting in circles in the house.  So independent until I'm not paying attention.  I need to remind myself to get her used to the crate, even while I am at home.  Some people think this is so cruel.  Well, it's not.  I digress.  There are other distractions here like...my really comfy bed.

2) Starbucks.  Every time I am there I hear every detail of all the worker's personal lives and schedules shouted across the place.  I don't mind noise, like...solid noise.  But some things stick out like a sore thumb.  I don't care when your spring break is, what concerts you are going to and when the next party is.  Please turn up the Starbucks music.

3) Barnes & Noble.  Actually, this is a tricky one.  If I manage to get a big enough table that I can actually spread a book out on, it can work.  But do I drive all the way there to most likely not get a big table?

4) Derby Public Library.  Obviously, this place was built for screaming children, as previously mentioned.

5) School library. It's far.  And I make the commute enough.  So while I can utilize it before and after classes sometimes, not an option for going a couple hours at a time just to get away.  

I don't know.....I would say I'm too picky.  But, I guess I am just easily distracted.  I have a hard enough time focusing without several distractions.  #2, 3 & 4 can sort of be remedied by noise-cancelling headphones....but I always have so much stuff to carry and they are super bulky to add to the luggage.  I know, minor detail.  And sometimes I find that I have to blast the music in my noise-cancelling headphones to drown out the noise...which CAN be a little distracting in itself. 

I guess the only thing I'm complaining about here is my own lack of ability to just tune the world out.  I have options...I guess the headphones are my best bet.  I'm wondering....is this a common problem???

No comments:

Post a Comment